GLA:D for osteoarthritis
What is GLA:D?
What does GLA:D involve?
GLA:D Australia training consists of:
- A first appointment explaining the program and collecting data on your current functional ability
- Two education sessions which teach you about OA, how the GLA:D Australia exercises improve joint stability, and how to retain this improved joint stability outside of the program
- Group neuromuscular training sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve muscle control of the joint which leads to reduction in symptoms and improved quality of life
Can I participate in GLA:D Australia?
GLA:D Australia is a program for all individuals who experience any hip and/or knee osteoarthritis symptoms, regardless of severity.
You may participate in the GLA:D Australia program if you have a hip or knee joint problem that resulted in visiting a health care provider.
You may not be able to participate in the GLA:D Australia program if:
- You have other reasons for your hip and/or knee pain, including; tumor, inflammatory joint disease, result of hip fracture, soft tissue or connective tissue problems
- You have other symptoms that are more pronounced than the osteoarthritis problems (for example chronic generalized pain or fibromyalgia)
- You are unable to understand and communicate in English
OA treatment in Australia
In Australia, treatment usually focuses on surgery and the GLA:D Australia program offers a better and safer alternative.
The background of the GLA:D program
Other outcomes include a less pain, reduced use of joint related pain killers, and less people on sick leave. GLA:D participants also reported high levels of satisfaction with the program and increased levels of physical activity 12 months after starting the program.
This program is unique in that the education and exercises provided can be applied to everyday activities. By strengthening and correcting daily movement patterns, participants will train their bodies to move properly, prevent symptom progression and reduce pain.